Friday, July 13, 2012

The school computer has not been accessible to me for the last few days.  Rebecca brought her computer but the modem doesn't work in it.  Really?  Can one person have so many technology issues?

This whole week has been spent in the classroom.  Everything seems to be coming together.  On Tuesday night Jared and I made another trip to the Accra Mall.  This time he wanted to go to the movies to see "Brave". It was  nice to just sit back and relax.  We bought more groceries and headed back to the school.  Jared started to feel sick on the ride home and within a couple of hours he had a 102 fever and had some pretty serious stomach issues.  He spent Wednesday and Thursday taking it easy.  I am forcing him to drink Gatorade and water but he puts up a fight every time.  Last night, he asked for chili.  I bought everything I needed to make him chili when we were at the grocery store.  So late last night I was cooking for him...a good sign.  I hope he does better today.

Rebecca arrived on Wednesday!  Her plane left JFK about 1 hour 45 minutes late but she arrived only 45 minutes late. Her luggage made it without incident.  She was very tired when she got to the school around 2:00 pm but she met all of the students and hung out for awhile.  The next day we put her to work!  She was so tired at the end of the day.  She said, "I have a new appreciation for teachers."  She worked with 2 children who don't sit for very long.  At one point, she was chasing them around.  I have to admit it was pretty funny.  She wasn't discouraged though.  She loved working with the students.

After school, I took Rebecca to the Medina Market.  She loved it.  We walked into a section where music was blasting and people were dancing.  They grabbed our hands and we danced.  It was fun at first but became overwhelming when tons of people surrounded us. It was a good experience though!. Our mission was to find a stationary store.  We went up and down the aisles and finally made it to a main street.  Right on the main street was a very big stationary store!  We bought quite a bit at the market. 

Tomorrow, if everybody Jared is feeling better, we are going to get up early and go to a bead market.  We will have to take a public transport but I think it is only about an hours drive (depending on traffic).  Sunday we are supposed to go to Cape Coast. We will leave around 5 a.m. for this trip.  It is an all day adventure. 

2 comments:

  1. Kim,
    It sounds like you are having some amazing adventures. I'm glad Rebecca got in safely and I am glad that Jared is feeling better. There is no where around here that people break into spontaneous bouts of dancing, but I'll try to get something going!
    Please tell Jared and Rebecca that I said hello, I'm very proud of what you are doing.

    Sincerely,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that Rebecca got there save and sound. I know how nervous she was traveling
    alone, can't say that I blamed her.
    Poor, Jared, he has been enjoying himself so much it's to bad that he got sick, but I hope it was just a little stomach bug and he's well now.
    This is quite an experience for Rebecca working with the kids every day like that.
    She'll be glad she is going in to nursing and not special education teaching.
    Sorry that you are having so many technical difficulties. I was wondering why you
    weren't posting after Rebecca got there with her lap top.
    Can't wait to hear about your trip to the bead market and the Cape Coast. Take lots of pictures even if we have to wait until you get home to see them.
    Love you all, and miss you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete