Thursday, July 5, 2012

Time is flying.  The lessons and student programs are coming together.  The youngest group is called P1.  There are 8 students.  This is the biggest challenge since only one person typically runs the P1 group.  There are more people available when volunteers are here.  P2 is made up 5.  P2 also has only one teacher but this group is more managable. The challenge in P2 is keeping the academic program moving forward.  It is going well.  I feel confident that by the end of the 4 weeks we will have made progress.

Yesterday afternoon we made another trip into Accra.  This time we went to buy a printer.  It is so needed here.  We found a new HP all-in-one printer for 139 cedis.  I think this is about $72.  Lawson, the director of YAP Ghana found a reburbished printer for a good price.  It is a high speed printer with a large print tank.  He feels he will be able to manage the ink refill on this type.  It is also an HP printer. There is a printer/copier and ink supply store at the Medina Market which is just down the road from the school. It was a good day.

Jared went to the Medina market with Ima and Esinam.  Ima is a teacher at the school and Esinam prepares all of the meals.  They needed to pick up supplies and food.  Jared loved the market.  He got the grand tour.  Ima filled him in on the sights, smells, and sounds.  Jared got 3 marriage proposals.  One from an older woman and 2 from mothers trying to find a husband for their daughters. They yelled out, "Abruni" (white man).  People asked him his name.  He had a great experience.  

In the evening, when we got back to the school, we celebrated with a cold beer from the local "spot" (bar).  We brought them back to the house and had them with rice and this amazing soup.  I wish I would have asked the name of the soup.  It was so good!

During dinner Jared came to me and said, "Hurry, you have to see how they make fufu." I ran for the camera and headed out.  It was very cool.  Ima was pounding the fufu while Esinam added water and flipped the edges in.  Jared and I gave it a try.  It was very hard to do so we left it to the pros. I think fufu is plaintain and cassava and maybe rice.  Although Esinam and Ima speak English they have a very thick accent and I can't always understand them.
Ima and Esinam making fufu

Jared and Kim willing to give it an American try
The fufu is back in the hands of the professionals
Today was another day in the classroom.  We started the day a little differently.  One of the volunteers is putting together a slide show and movie.  We took a group picture with the students wearing their YAP Ghana shirts.  We didn't do the Slack/Ben/LIS photo yet but I managed to get Emily, Amos, An-An, and Hootie into one of the shots. We will do the school t-shirts another day.  I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

After school, Lawson dropped us off at the market.  Lawson was very worried. He said he would come and pick us up. He told me to call his cell but he wouldn't pick up but he would know that meant to come and pick us up from the market.  I told him I wanted to take a taxi. Jared was my tour guide around the market. Can you believe that some of the people remembered him?  I hear "Jared, Jared, hi Jared!" I couldn't believe they were calling his name.  They said, "Abruni buy my food."  We did buy food at a street vendor selling meat pies and a fried dough rolled cabbage and 2 drinks. But our mission was that we were looking for plastic containers.  We found a stand and bought 10 containers for 43 cedis (around $20).  It was a good deal since they are large and have the snap close lid.  I was happy with my purchase. We managed to get through the tight pathways back to the street.  A boy came up to Jared and wanted to talk to him.  He was 12 years old and still had on his school uniform.  He wanted Jared's cell number. We walked to the street and found a taxi.  There are so many here.  Taxi service is a private business.  It is not the most economical way to travel but it is comfortable.  I was charged 4 cedis ( about $2) for the ride back to the door of the school. It was so worth it. The trotro is the cheapest way to travel but I honestly don't know if I could do it.  It is very crowded and if I got the back seat I think I would be car sick.  Lawson said if you don't mind being cramped and rubbing up against sweaty people it would be an option. I'll think about it.

Jared with his purchase at the Medina Market

Tonight for dinner we had smashed white potatoes, chicken, and a spicy red sauce.  It was "beautiful" in the words of Richie, the volunteer from Ireland.

Here are some pictures I am adding. These are from the Sunday church service at Action Chapel International that we all attended.  The congregation was very generous.  The pastor took up a special donation and the school was given 1400 cedis.  The money is needed and greatly appreciated. 
The pastor is in blue.  The paper on the lower steps is actually the money donated.
The children all dressed up. This picture is very dark but some of the staff are in the picture too.
A very large church.  This is looking from the alter.  Lawson asked me to take pictures!
                               
                             The pastor is reflecting

 Here are some pictures of Lekan, Peter, and Jared.  On Sunday, after church, we took a walk around the area close to the school.  There are little street vendors on the main road into the community.








They are eating Obama Crackers





1 comment:

  1. What are Obama crackers? Jared, I am so proud of you! Before you left, I told you that you will see the world differently because of this experience, and I can tell that you are embracing this chance. Wonderful! Jessica Heller

    ReplyDelete