Monday, July 9, 2012

Sunday, Jared and I got up early because we wanted to make the most of our day.  We took a taxi to Accra Mall.  The taxi ride was 10 cedis, which was a deal considering the distance and traffic. When we arrived most stores were just beginning to open. We walked around a bit and decided to check out the grocery store.  Jared found some foods that he would eat.  We decided to wait to grocery shop at the end of our visit to the mall.  Next stop was Vodaphone.  This is a large phone company in Ghana.  I bought a cheap cell phone and got connected.  I am now able to make inexpensive calls to the US without relying on the school phone.  I should have done this the day I arrived.  Now I know better.

We ate at the food court.  Service was very slow but the food was good. Jared has pizza, fries, and a pineapple juice drink.  He was happy with the food.  Now we were ready to shop.  We went back to the grocery store for fruit, cereal, chicken nuggets and the fixins for Chili! Jared really wanted Italian bread so we bought a big bread stick and some real butter.  This was a happy boy!

We got robbed on a taxi back to Adenta.  The price was 15 cedis (I don't consider this a bad price at all). The taxi was located in the mall parking lot and supposedly they cost more.  I was not about to walk to the street with all my groceries so I could save 3 cedis.  It was convenient so we took the offer.  The taxi driver was a character.  He was one of the leaders of the taxi union.  He asked me how the elections were going in America.  We got into a discussion about President Obama.  President Obama is highly regarded here.  There is an Obama Hotel, Obama crackers, and who knows what else.

Today, I am back in the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    What an amazing experience. Say hello to Jared and enjoy your time. What a different world. Jay

    ReplyDelete